Thursday, June 09, 2011

Butuan City, Agusan del Norte, Mindanao

"Excuse me po. Kuya malayo pa bo ba ang Butuan?"

I asked the guy next to me whether Butuan is still far.  I was sitting for almost nine hours from Davao City Ecoland Bus Terminal to Butuan, Agusan del Norte.  I was dead-tired asleep.   My friend dropped off me at Ecoland bus terminal in Davao before 12midnight and took the 1am bus to Butuan.   It was a choice to travel at night time so I won't have idle time on my leave days.   Stress a bit, relax later.

Butuan City, Agusan del Norte - known as the Timber City of the South, lies in northern part of Mindanao and regional center of the CARAGA Region of the Philippines (Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, and Dinagat Islands). 
Butuan is celebrating it's an annual fiesta of patron St. Joseph, the next day, May 19.  I made some inquiries on how people of Butuan celebrate the festival.  There will be a Balangay (sailboat) Theater Float Parade Competition at 8am onwards.  Something to look forward to, otherwise, I  will leave early for Surigao.

I asked the driver, his name is Joselito to take me near where St. Joseph Cathedral and plaza is, that's where I want to check place to stay.  While on the run, I befriended him and asked about Butuan, his family background of course.  Friendly rapport has been established and am now comfortable to do business with him. 

I mentioned my intention in Butuan and that I have a list of places to see for that day.   Some major places are not accessible for his tiny wheels.  Cross out the Magellan's Landing Site in Barangay Banza, the first Easter Mass held in PI celebrated my Magellan on March 31, 1521. 
Cross out Nipa Wine Distillery "Laksoy" the Butuanon pride, local wine made from fermented nipa palm. 

To digress, the driver dropped me off thrice to check a hotel.  First was, naaa too cheap, Second place was "like it" but no rooms available, only deluxe room for P2,500/night does not fit to a budget traveler :-).
Third, was a mediocre choice "Probably the finest".

Told, driver to come back later (1030am) after one and half hour for our tour.



 Places visited around Butuan

Diosdado Macapagal Bridge - the longest bridge in Mindanao,
construction period 2004-2007, connecting Surigao-Agusan-Davao. 

50 Year Old, Magsaysay Bridge


Agusan River view from Macapagal Bridge


Field view


Mount Payapay


Butuan is known for timber


Agusan Provincial Capitol


Sangguniang Panlalawigan


City Hall


Gaisano Mall


National Museum


By the entrance of the National Museum


By the port


National Flag

The day started to get dark and windy so requested the driver to go back to the hotel before the raindrops.  Well, the rain did not wait for me to get back to the hotel and I was starving. 
Please, drop me off nearby restaurant :-).  I invited Joselito to take along his children so they too can enjoy their festival.  He said that if he'll take the kids they would ask him money to buy stuff. 

I saw a massage spa just opposite the restaurant.   I inquire about their services, nice deal. Less than P600 for a package (foot scrub, facial scrub and the more like full body massage, like it! like it!  They are closing by 9pm.  I have more time to relax.  Decided to return later. 

Still raining so had to walk fast back to the hotel.  Freshen up and plunked to bed.
I had a good nap. Went down to the lobby to catch up wi-fi.   

Outside was still wet from the rain.  Went to see the park, there was program ongoing at the plaza, walking distance from the hotel.  Went to visit St. Joseph Cathedral, as expected it was crowded, there was a mass but I could not understand their dialect.  So, just lit a candle for my lost father, 3rd year that day.

St. Joseph Cathedral 

St. Joseph Cathedral

Went back to the same restaurant and to the most awaited of the day...ssspaaa. 
Me: I want to avail the package, facial, foot scrub and full body massage.
Spa: Sorry ma'am can't do facial scrub as you have new pimples.
Me: OK, then just the body massage
Spa: If you like the body massage treatment you may book for tomorrow as we have one booked for tonight.
Bummer thought I have the chance :-(. 

Went back to the hotel room and came down at the lobby to once again catch wi-fi signal.   Noticed that there were bunch of business looking guys on a long table.  Dinner meeting maybe.  Hmmm, maybe the food is good here, I must try it the next day for breakfast. 
I wish I could get signal back into my room so I won't be sitting here, mind protested.

Two nice looking ladies sat next to me, was approached by a Chinese man from the long table, one was given a key while the other was asked about her age, and the ladies went upstairs.  Then later on one teenage gay and three more teens came and was instructed to go upstairs by the same guy.

Blushed, my face felt warm.  Thinking fast to drag my luggage out, away from that "probably the finest" slogan hotel.  My heart beats fast while my fingers hitting fast the pad of my phone.  I was chatting.  Thanks to my chatmates as it holds back my state of normality. 
Went back to my room and was so happy that I was still getting internet signal.  I was in room #5, the left wall of my room was playing loud tv and on the right side of my wall was playing um-ah-ah. You guys so loud.  Funny!
Ohhh Therrie, where did you place yourself? 
Haaayyy.

Next morning...

Good morning Butuan

Showered, prepared my luggage and called the driver reminded him to take along his kids. Then, I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. 
I walked around while waiting for Joselito and his kids.  At 9am they showed up and we drove to Gaisano Mall.  Excited to see their celebration.


The Balangay Theater Float Parade Competition
Balangay means - Sailboat

 















MJ Claire Donna, Joselito and Donna Villasis @ McDonald's

Balloons they want! MJ Claire & Donna


After the show and kids had a meal at Mc. Donald's, went back to the hotel to get my luggage and check-out.  Returned the room key to the receptionist and mentioned how I did not get a good sleep last night.


For Butuan Driver :

Joselito Villasis
+63-9302829793
Baan Km 3, Purok 2C
Amamaylan, Butuan City



Butuan City
Agusan del Norte
Philippines

May 2011

4 Comments:

  1. Hey, hey, hey . . . so exciting your blog. Giggles and smiles again all the way through the blog. Ingit, ingit, ingit . . . . hehehehehehe. Kelan kaya me? That is both blogging and traveling, hahahahaha. Anyway, I really am happy you had a good time in Butuan, well, except for that needed rest at the hotel, hehehehe. I'll take note on all these information and perhaps one day I'll be needing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro. Oliver: Remember that "Emerald" Seafood Restaurant in Davao? take note of that "hotel" when visiting Butuan :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your blog! please do visit butuan as often as possible :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and comments on the space below.